- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6-9 slices 1-inch thick french bread (enough to fit into a 9×13 inch pan)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and maple syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup, and strawberries.