Nutella Cheesecake Brownies
Serves 16 – one 9×9′ pan
For the brownie –
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cheesecake layer –
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup Nutella
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Pinch of salt
For finishing –
1/4 cup Nutella, for swirling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9×9′ baking pan (I normally cover my pan with foil and then spray with non-stick cooking spray).
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, and beat until fully combined. Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Beat in cocoa powder and flour until just blended – do not overmix!
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the cheesecake layer – beat room temperature cream cheese until softened using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Mix in Nutella and sugar, and mix until fully incorporated – scrape down the bowl.
- Add in egg yolk, vanilla extract, heavy cream, and salt. Beat until combined – scrape down the bowl again if necessary to make sure everything is combined.
- Dollop the cheesecake batter over the brownie batter. Dollop over spoonfuls of Nutella as well, and swirl everything together using a knife or an offset spatula.
- Place in the oven, and bake for 33-37 minutes, or until the brownies are set.
- Cool completely, and chill in the fridge for an easy cut.