Makes 2 burritos
For the sushi rice –
1 cup sushi rice
1 cup water
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1-1/2 tablespoons sugar (4-1/2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon salt
For the crab mixture –
6 ounces imitation crab sticks, shredded and finely chopped
Heaping 1/4 cup mayonnaise (more or less to taste)
2 teaspoons Sriracha (omit if you don’t enjoy slightly spicy food)
To finish –
Ripe avocado slices (for 2 people I would use 1 small ripe avocado)
1/2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
2 sheets of nori (seaweed)
- To make the sushi rice – Rinse the rice (a strainer normally has holes that are too big for the rice, I normally use a sifter) 3 or 4 times, until the water runs mostly clear.
- Leave the rice in the sifter/strainer for 15 minutes (this helps to dry the rice of excess liquid).
- Add the rice to a saucepan, and add the water to it. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover the saucepan and cook for 15 minutes. Take the pot off the heat (do not take the lid off), and let the rice sit for 10 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt. Microwave for 30 seconds (to dissolve the sugar).
- Place the rice into a glass dish to cool, and slowly and gently mix in the vinegar mixture. Let cool to room temperature before using.
- To make the crab mixture – mix together the finely shredded/chopped crab, mayo, and Sriracha. Remember, this is all to taste. I like my crab to have enough mayo to coat it without drowning in mayo. Add more or less to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the spicy mayo – mix together the mayo and Sriracha. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble – Place the nori onto a bamboo mat (you can get them at the grocery store for a few dollars). Dip your fingers in water, and press 1/2 cup of sushi rice into an even layer, leaving an inch at one edge of the nori to help roll the sushi. Place the matchsticks of cucumber in the middle of the rice. Top with the slide avocado, and the spicy crab.
- Roll the sushi, applying pressure as you roll. Press in the sides to ensure all of the filling is inside the nori. Wrap in parchment paper or aluminum foil if desired. Cut in half and eat immediately. Serve with wasabi and soy sauce.