2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, plus more for buttering and flouring the ramekins
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon strong hot coffee or espresso (optional but strongly recommended)
1 teaspoon flour, plus more for buttering and flouring the ramekins
2 dollops of Nutella
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Melt butter in the microwave; add chopped chocolate and whisk until the chocolate and butter are completely melted together.
- Add the egg and egg yolk to a separate bowl. Add the sugar to the eggs, and beat until light and frothy, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg mixture, salt, coffee, and flour to the chocolate mixture. Beat until well combined.
- Butter and flour two ramekins very well (I used 6 ounce ramekins, the batter will also fit in 4 ounce ramekins), dusting out the excess flour. Divide the batter between the ramekins. Add a dollop of Nutella on top of the batter into each of the ramekins.
- Bake the cakes for 7-9 minutes, or until solid around the outside of the cake but still liquid/gooey on the inside.
- Once out of the oven, let sit for one minute. Then, place a plate on top of the ramekin, and using oven mitts, flip the plate and the ramekin right side up. Lift the ramekin off of the cake.
- Serve immediately, with ice cream, whipped cream, or powdered sugar.
Adapted from Mark Bittman