Makes 6 danishes
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator overnight
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons white sugar
Pinch of fine salt
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the spiced apple filling (enough for 6 danishes):
2 tablespoons butter
1 small granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon water
For the chocolate chip filling (enough for 6 danishes):
1/4 + 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
For the chocolate ganache:
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together the cream cheese and the white sugar until completely smooth. Add in the vanilla and mix again. Set aside until ready to use.
- Roll out the puff pastry until it measures approximately 10 inches by 10 inches. Cut the puff pastry into 6 squares (cut in half horizontally once, then cut two more times vertically).
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture onto each of the puff pastry squares, and shape into different decorations as desired (the how-to video shows exactly how to shape the danishes in different ways).
- For the chocolate chip cream cheese danishes – top each cream cheese danish with about 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips.
- For the spiced apple cream cheese danish – melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the apples, and saute for a couple minutes until the apples soften slightly. Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and water, and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Let cool, then top each danish with some of the apple filling.
- Chill the danishes in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking. Bake in 400 degree oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes – make sure the bottom is golden brown as well as the top.
- Make the chocolate ganache for the chocolate danishes – heat the heavy cream until it starts to boil. Add in 1/4 cup chocolate chips, and let sit for a minute to let the chocolate melt. Mix together until completely combined. Drizzle over the chocolate cream cheese danishes.
- Dust all of the danishes with powdered sugar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.