Makes an 8×8′ pan
For the crumble –
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup (165 grams) light brown sugar
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (85 grams) rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
For the berries –
1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
1 cup chopped strawberries, washed (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F – Mix together the brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, baking soda, and salt. Add in the room temperature butter, and work it into the dry ingredients, using a spatula or clean hands.
- Press half of the crumble mixture into an 8×8′ pan lined with aluminum foil and brushed with melted butter (or sprayed with cooking spray).
- To make the fruit mixture – add the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice to the berries, and gently mix everything together. Pour the fruit mixture on top of the crumble that’s in the pan.
- Grab the remaining crumble in your fingers, and sprinkle it over the top of the fruit mixture.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool, and then chill before cutting into bars. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.