Stuffed French Toast
For the French Toast –
4 slices white sandwich bread (any bread will do, stale bread is great – wheat bread, challah)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup half and half
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Nutella/Banana filling – (each filling will make 2 French Toast “sandwiches”)
1/4 cup Nutella
1/2 banana, thinly sliced
For the Strawberry Cheesecake filling –
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 cup chopped strawberries
To finish –
1 tablespoon butter, for skillet
Warm maple syrup, for serving
- To make the custard for the French toast – whisk together the eggs, half and half, sugar, and vanilla extract. Set aside until ready to use.
- To build the Nutella/Banana French Toast – for each sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon of Nutella on each slice of sandwich bread. Top one slice with banana slices. Place the other piece of sandwich bread on top to complete the sandwich.
- To build the Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast – mix together the softened cream cheese and the powdered sugar. For each sandwich, top one slice of sandwich bread with half of the cheesecake mixture, and then top with 2 tablespoons of the chopped strawberries. Top with another slice of sandwich bread.
- To cook the French Toast – place the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of the French Toast “sandwich” in the custard, and then immediately place into the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, on until golden brown all over.
- Cut the sandwiches in half, top with warm maple syrup, and enjoy.
A Jenny Original