Snickerdoodle Streusel Muffins
Makes 8 muffins
For muffins –
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (5o grams) sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (144 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons milk
For cinnamon sugar –
1/3 cup (66 grams) sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
For streusel topping –
1/2 cup (64 grams) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (66 grams) white sugar (brown sugar can also be used)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- For the muffins – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Prepare a muffin tin with liners.
- Place butter and sugar into the bowl of the stand mixer. Cream the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the muffin mixture, and mix until combined. Add the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter (do not overmix).
- To make the cinnamon sugar – Mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Scoop half of the batter into each muffin cup, then top with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar. Scoop the rest of the batter on top of the cinnamon sugar into the muffin cups, and top with another sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
- To make the streusel topping – mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add melted butter and mix until combined (it will look like thick wet sand). Divide the streusel mixture evenly over the muffins.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins come out clean or with minimal crumbs.
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod