Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
Makes one 8×8′ pan
For the brownie –
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup (201 grams) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (20 grams) cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon liquid or gel red food coloring
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup (90 grams) all-purpose flour
For the cheesecake swirl –
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place aluminum foil inside an 8×8′ baking pan, and spray the aluminum foil with baking spray. Melt the butter in a large microwaveable bowl until completely melted.
- Whisk in sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, red food coloring, and vinegar until completely combined.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until completely incorporated.
- Add in the flour, and mix until just combined (I like to start with a whisk and finish with a spatula to fold in the last of the flour).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, reserving 1/4 cup.
- To make the cheesecake filling – place the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract into a medium bowl. Using a handheld mixer or a whisk, cream everything together until completely combined, about 1 minute.
- Dollop large spoonfuls of the cheesecake filling on top of the brownie batter. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of batter, in spoonfuls. Using a knife, swirl the cheesecake filling together with the dollops of brownie batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 28-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool, then completely chill before cutting the brownies into desired shapes. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Adapted from Food Network