Miniature Chocolate Ganache Cheesecakes
Makes 12 miniature cheesecakes
12 Oreos, crushed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4.5 ounces (3/4 cup) semisweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pinch salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
12 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature (1-1/2 eight ounce packages)
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the crust – preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin/cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners. Mix the crushed Oreos with the melted butter in a mixing bowl. Spoon about 1 tablespoon each of the Oreos into each cup, distributing the mixture evenly. Press the crumbs into an even layer. Bake in the 325 degree oven for 5 minutes. Allow to cool while preparing the filling.
- For the filling – in a mixing bowl, sift together the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer, and pour the sugar/cocoa mixture over the cream cheese. Beat with a paddle attachment on low speed, and mix just until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, waiting until each egg is incorporated before adding the next one; mix in the vanilla extract with the last egg. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix just until combined, then add the 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and the 1/4 cup sour cream, and mix just until combined.
- Forcefully tap the bowl against the edge of the countertop 4-5 times to make sure there are no bubbles in the cheesecake batter. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (using a spoon or a preferably a large ice cream scoop), about heaping 1/4 cup to each muffin cup.
- Bake in the 325 degree oven for 17-20 minutes, or until the middle of the cheesecakes jiggle only slightly. Take out and allow to cool to room temperature for 60 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Refrigerate before topping with chocolate ganache.
For Chocolate Ganache –
- Pour heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place the chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl. Once the cream just starts to bubble around the edges, remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 1-2 minutes, then using a whisk, whisk the cream and chocolate together until the mixture is completely homogenous, glossy and smooth. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before topping each chilled cheesecake with a spoonful of chocolate ganache. Let chill for another 45 minutes to set the chocolate ganache, or serve as is.
Adapted from Cooking Classy