Filet Mignon with Blue Cheese-Caramelized Onion Cream Sauce
1/2 recipe Perfect Mashed Potatoes (I used all half-and-half for this recipe, feel free to use whole or 2% milk if you’d like)
12 asparagus spears
Salt and pepper
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
1/2 cup heavy cream (plus a few splashes if it gets too thick)
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 (6 ounce) filet mignons, room temperature
2 tablespoon olive oil
Fresh thyme (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off the tough ends of the asparagus, and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and mix together to coat. Bake until tender but crisp, 20-25 minutes depending on thickness.
- To make the sauce – melt two tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until dark golden brown and caramelized. Reduce heat to simmer and pour in the cream. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until sauce has reduced a little bit and to desired consistency. Stir in blue cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer until ready to plate.
- To cook steaks – season each filet liberally on each side with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until the pan is very hot. Add the steaks and cook for about 3 minutes on the first side (do not touch during this time!). Flip over and cook for another 3 minutes. During the last few minutes of cooking, add 3 tablespoons of butter along with a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Baste the steaks with the herb butter.
- Transfer to a baking sheet (or keep in the skillet if it is ovenproof) and bake until desired doneness, 5-6 minutes (or test with a thermometer, 130-135 for medium rare, 145 for medium).
- Let the steak rest for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
- When ready to serve, portion the mashed potatoes into a circle on the place. Top with asparagus spears going in 2 opposing directions. Top with the filet, and then drizzle the sauce over the top of the filet. Serve immediately.