Creamy Nutella Frosting
Makes about 2 cups frosting, enough to frost 12 cupcakes
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (1 tablespoon + 1-1/2 teaspoons)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk (1% or above is fine)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks or 170 grams) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened to room temperature
1/3 cup Nutella
- Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture in smooth.
- Place a strainer over a large saucepan. Pour the mixture through the strainer into the saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick and a bit difficult to whisk, about 4-5 minutes (this could take more or less time depending on your stove).
- Place the thickened mixture into a clean bowl, and set aside until completely room temperature.
- Once room temperature, place the mixture in the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the vanilla extract and beat until well combined. With the mixer on medium speed, add the butter pieces one tablespoon at a time, and beat until the frosting has completely incorporated the butter, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the speed on the mixer to medium-high and beat the frosting for 5 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.
- Add in Nutella, and beat until well combined. Use immediately.
Adapted from My Favorite Vanilla Frosting