Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Makes 12-15 strawberries
1/2 pound (8 ounces) fresh strawberries, washed and dried
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate chips)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons shortening (optional, this helps the chocolate coating harden)
- Place the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of stand mixer (or with an electric mixer). Beat on medium speed until completely combined. Scrape the edges of the bowl to make sure that everything is incorporated evenly. Spoon the filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large pastry tip.*
- Using either a knife or a melon baller, remove the stems and create a hole in the strawberry for the filling.
- Squeeze a little bit of the cheesecake mixture into each strawberry, and place on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Place in the fridge until ready to dip in chocolate.
- To melt the chocolate – place the chocolate chips and shortening into a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted. (For me, this is usually two 30 second intervals and then one 15-20 second interval)
- Dip each strawberry into the chocolate, swirling to coat the strawberry. Place back on the baking sheet, and refrigerate for 25-30 minutes before serving to let the chocolate harden.