Browned Butter Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 20 large cookies
1 cup (2 sticks, 16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sour cream
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-1/4 cups Nutella (2o tablespoons, 1 for each cookie – about 3/4-1 jar)
Kosher salt, for sprinkling (optional, but amazing)
- Dollop the Nutella in 1-tablespoon size portions onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and place in the freezer or until ready to use, at least 20-30 minutes.
- Cut the butter into 1 tablespoon size pieces, and place into a sauté pan over medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted, and keep stirring and remove the browned butter from the heat immediately when it looks light golden brown (this article includes many helpful tips). Place into a bowl or container and let sit for 10 minutes before proceeding in the recipe.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside. Place the browned butter into the bowl of a stand mixer (you can use a hand mixer as well). Add the brown sugar and the white sugar, and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until combined and smooth. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and sour cream just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly and mix on low speed until almost just combined. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Take the Nutella dollops out of the freezer. Take out a large cookie scoop, and press half of the cookie dough into the scoop. Squish the frozen Nutella dollop into the cookie dough, and top with the other half of the cookie dough so that the cookie dough scoop is filled to the top. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough. Place all the cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, cover with more foil, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (the dough can be made up to 3 days in advance).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place 6 cookies on the mat at a time. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies are puffy and golden brown. As soon as you take them out of the oven, sprinkle them with a bit of kosher salt (do not be heavy handed with this, we want just little bites of saltiness!). Let cool for 10 minutes, then move to a cooling rack until completely cool (or eat them warm!). Repeat with the remaining cookies.
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen