Better than Anything Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cake –
1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix, prepared according to directions
1-14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup caramel sauce, homemade or store-bought
1 cup toffee bits
Chocolate ganache (optional)
For the frosting –
1-1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (32 grams) all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons (24 grams) cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups milk (2% or higher)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
24 tablespoons (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Bake cupcakes according to package directions. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together the sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce. Using a skewer, cake pop stick, or toothpick (I actually used an attachment for a hand mixer; anything slightly bigger than a toothpick works best, but a toothpick is okay as well), poke lots of holes into the tops of the cupcakes, trying to go all around the cupcake evenly.
- Using a spoon, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the milk/caramel mixture over the top of each cupcake at a time. Repeat until all of the milk/caramel mixture is gone (you will spoon the mixture over each cupcake probably at least 3 or 4 times).
- Refrigerate until ready to frost, at least an hour.
- To make the frosting – Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture in smooth.
- Place a strainer over a large saucepan. Pour the mixture through the strainer into the saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thick and a bit difficult to whisk, about 4-5 minutes (this could take more or less time depending on your stove).
- Place the thickened mixture into a clean bowl, and set aside until completely room temperature.
- Once room temperature, place the mixture in the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the vanilla extract and beat until well combined. With the mixer on medium speed, add the butter pieces one tablespoon at a time, and beat until the frosting has completely incorporated the butter, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the speed on the mixer to medium-high and beat the frosting for 5 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes immediately; drizzle with chocolate ganache and sprinkle with toffee bits. Either serve immediately or serve chilled (the frosting will harden a bit and taste more like ice cream than frosting; yum!).
Adapted from Center Cut Cook