Pear Feta Salad
16 ounces mixed greens or fresh spinach
1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
2 ripe Bosc pears – peeled, cored, and sliced or chopped (I had never used a pear before, a great video for slicing them up here)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
The juice of 1/4 lemon
The zest of 1/4 lemon
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the mixed greens into a large bowl. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Place the 1/4 cup sugar and sliced almonds into a small skillet over medium heat. Continue stirring gently until the sugar has melted and caramelized the almonds. Carefully transfer the nuts onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then break into pieces.
- Combine the feta with the lemon juice and lemon zest. Mash with a fork to combine.
- For the dressing – whisk or blend together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sugar, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Layer the pears, feta, red onions and sliced avocado on top of the mixed greens. Pour dressing over the salad, sprinkle with the candied almonds, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Allrecipes